VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2013
- Creating and running Virtual Machines using the latest operating systems – Window 8.1, Ubuntu 13.04, Fedora 18 etc.
- Running Restricted virtual machines with an expiration date
- Converting physical machines to virtual machines
- Graphics performance and multi-monitor support
- Performance of Virtual Machines running up to 16 vCPUs
- General stability, application compatibility and usability
Welcome to the VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2013
- Creating large VMs on appropriately equipped Macs (16 vCPUs, 64GB RAM)
- Dictation Support
- Network handling when running VMware ESX as a guest
- Restricted virtual machines with an expiration date
- PC Migration Assistant
- Virtual Machine Compatibility pane under Settings
- Improved handling of the Command/Windows key under Windows 8
- General stability and correctness
Most interesting for me are the enhancements to the restricted virtual machines feature. This feature allows you to restrict virtual machines in a way that users can’t change anything at the VM hardware level and even set an expiration date for a virtual machine. In combination with Mirage this is really nice solution for BYOD use cases.
I personally running the Fusion Technology Preview for a few now on my production system and hadn’t had any issues performance and stability wise.