Yesterday VMware release Feature Pack 2 for VMware Horizon View 5.2 which introduces two new features called Real-Time Audio-Video and Flash URL Redirection. It also includes some very useful improvements to Unity Touch.
- Flash URL Redirection – Customers can now use Adobe Media Server and multicast to deliver live video events in a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environment. To deliver multicast live video streams within a VDI environment, the media stream should be sent directly from the media source to the endpoints, bypassing the virtual desktops. The Flash URL Redirection feature supports this capability by intercepting and redirecting the ShockWave Flash (SWF) file from the virtual desktop to the client endpoint.
- Real-Time Audio-Video – Real-Time Audio-Video allows Horizon View users to run Skype, Webex, Google Hangouts, and other online conferencing applications on their virtual desktops. With Real-Time Audio-Video, webcam and audio devices that are connected locally to the client system are redirected to the remote desktop. This feature redirects video and audio data to the desktop with a significantly lower bandwidth than can be achieved by using USB redirection. Real-Time Audio-Video is compatible with standard conferencing applications and supports standard webcams, audio USB devices, and analog audio input.
- Unity Touch improvements – You can now add a favorite application or file from a list of search results, and you can now use the Unity Touch sidebar to minimize a running application’s window. Requires users to connect to their desktops from VMware Horizon View Client for iOS 2.1 or later, or VMware Horizon View Client for Android 2.1 or later.
Also there are several improvements to the View HTML Access feature which now includes localization support for French, German, and Traditional Chinese
To get the lastest features you need to be on version 5.2 of Horizon View and also make sure you use the latest clients on Windows (5.4), iOS and Android (2.1)
Besides the official documentation on the new features I want to highlight two article from Andre Leibovici.
- Understanding Horizon View Flash URL Redirection
- Understanding Horizon View Real-Time Audio-Video (RTAV)
You can find all information about the new Feature Pack 2 on my.vmware.com or directly via the buttons below.